WHAT IS MONTESSORI?
MONTESSORI VS. TRADITIONAL EDUCATION
- VIMEO: Why 20th Century Educational Methods Won’t Work in the 21st Century and What We Can Do About It
- YOUTUBE: 321 FastDraw – Superwoman Was Already Here! – Super Dr.Maria
- YOUTUBE: 321 FastDraw – Changing Education Paradigms
- Evaluating Montessori Education – A study compares the outcomes of Montessori education with traditional education
- Montessori Is An Example Of The New Culture of Learning, By Steve Denning, Forbes Magazine
- Montessori Builds Innovators, By Andrew McAfee, Harvard Business Review Blog
- Montessori: The Missing Voice in the Education Reform Debate, By Laura Flores Shaw, Head of School Oak Knoll Kinderhaus Montessori
- The Single Best Idea for Reforming K-12 Education
- Standing Up to Testing, By Ginia Bellafante, New York Times
- Stop Stealing Dreams (What is school for?) – Large-scale education was not developed to motivate kids or to create scholars. It was invented to churn out adults who worked well within the system.
- Outdated Teaching is Failing Our Children
- Public School Stakes Its Future on the Montessori Way
- Joy: A Subject Schools Lack – Becoming educated should not require giving up pleasure, By Susan Engel, The Atlantic
NEUROSCIENCE SUPPORTS MONTESSORI
RESEARCH SUPPORTS MONTESSORI
TED TALKS EDUCATION
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
- VIDEO: Because No One Was Born A Parent
- Parenting while distracted: By Jane Scott, The Washington Post
- What if the Secret to Success Is Failure? – Making mistakes and incorrect decisions is an important part of life. How else do we know what NOT to do?
- Embrace Those Mistakes With Gusto!, By Kathy Masarie
- Importance of Failure – Allowing your children to make mistakes and experience disappointments is the biggest gift you can give to your child.
- Too Much Praise Is No Good for Toddlers
- Slow, Free Range, Idle Parents Can Increase IQ and Happiness, By Kirsten Dirksen, Co-founder, faircompanies.com
- Aid to Life: Supporting the Natural Development of Children – This is a wonderful parenting resource for infants and young children.
- Welcome to the Age of Overparenting, By Katherine Ozment
- Are you raising nice kids? A Harvard psychologist gives 5 ways to raise them to be kind, By Amy Joyce, The Washington Post
- Preparing the Home Environment
- Montessori Biology – Birth to Age Twelve, By Michael Olaf Montessori – Providing practical Montessori information with families and schools for over a quarter of a century
- Train a Parent, Spare a Child, By Bruce Feiler, New York Times – “…giving children tangible rewards — from money to sweets to an extra hour before bedtime — not only doesn’t work in the long term, it actually has a negative effect on them.” So if bribes don’t work, what does? Read the article for suggestions on how to modify a child’s behavior without bribes or rewards.
- Learn about Practical Life at Home
- Modern Parenting: Tips, Tricks, and Traps, By Steven Hughes
- Ten Montessori Home Parenting Tips for Children Under 3
- Compassionate Communication – It’s how we relate in the classroom
- Good Parents
- Montessori Parenting Ideas for Summer
- Montessori in the Home
CHILDREN ON MEDIA
- VIDEO: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
- YOUTUBE: The happy secret to better work
- PODCAST: Back to School, This American Life Podcast with Host Ira Glass – An emerging theory about what to teach kids, from Paul Tough’s new book “How Children Succeed”
- Corporate Kindergarten: How A Montessori Mindset Can Transform Your Business, By Justin Wasserman, Forbes Magazine
- Electronic devices may keep teens from sleeping, By Robert Preidt, Health Day
- Self-Regulation: The Key to Successful Students?
- The Competing Views on Competition, by Matt Richtel, The New York Times
- Need a Job? Invent It, by Thomas L. Freidman, The New York Times
- Stop Stealing Dreams (what is school for?), By Seth Godin
- Is the Web Driving Us Mad?, By Tony Dokoupil, Newsweek
- The Children’s Menu], By Seth Godin
- The Pop! of the Wild, By Aaron Hirsch, The New York Times – A look at the online education debate
- Struggle For Smarts? How Eastern And Western Cultures Tackle Learning
- A Link Between Fidgety Boys and a Sputtering Economy, By David Leonhardt, The New York Times
- The Dicey Parent-Teacher Duet